We also aim at establishing amicable arrangements and relations between our members and their workmen. The Association works hand in hand with the Union and the Ministry of Labour in formulating the minimum terms and conditions of employment for construction workers contained in a Collective Bargain Agreement (CBA). We have identified and attempted to resolve potential areas of conflict such as hours of work, leave, holidays, safari allowance etc
One of our key objectives is to protect the interests of our members in the course of their businesses. It is in the view of this objective that KABCEC participates actively in the formulation, revision and amendment of conditions of Contract for Building works.
KABCEC – The future
We are currently actively pursuing the following on behalf of our members:
- Reduction of Withholding Tax from 3% to 2%.
- Refunds of VAT credits from the Kenya Revenue Authority for the many Contractors who are in VAT credit position due to the recent Withholding VAT Regulations.
- Strict Registration and Categorization of Contractors.
- Transportation of Construction Workers.
KABCEC – Our Achievements
- Joint Building Council - through partnership with the AAK. and the Ministry of Public Works which has achieved:
- Monitoring and publishing monthly prices and changes in prices of Building Materials and labour in the Country. (fluctuations)
- Publishing, revising, and editing Agreements and conditions of Contract for Building works.
- Formulation of new policies regarding Contracts such as Retention and Bid Bonds, Withholding Tax, etc.
- The recent reduction of Withholding Tax from the punitive 5% to 3% - We are still lobbying for a reduction of this Tax to its original level of 2%.